Counseling for Anxiety
Do you often feel that worry and anxiety are taking over your life? Does it feel like you can’t control your anxiety no matter how hard you try? Have you already tried therapy before but found it didn’t work for you?
If this sounds like you, I am confident I can help. My practice offers the most effective forms of treatment to help clients get the relief from anxiety and worry.
When it comes to treating anxiety disorders, research shows that therapy is usually the most effective option and less efficacious than when an anti-anxiety medication is used alone.
That’s because counseling that targets anxiety – as opposed to medication used to manage anxiety symptoms – treats more than just symptoms to the problem as the therapist works to teach the client new techniques to help manage situations and stressors experienced that might provoke or exacerbate symptoms of anxiety.
The following are common symptoms of anxiety:
- Nervousness, restlessness, feeling wound up or tense
- Feelings of angst, fear, panic, or dread in the face of perceived (real or imagined) stressors and threats
- Rapid, thoracic, shallow breathing or hyperventilation
- Increased or profuse sweating
- Trembling, shakiness, or muscle twitching
- Weakness, exhaustion, lack of motivation or energy, or fatigue
- Difficulty with memory or focus on anything other than the thing you are worried about
- Difficulty with making decisions and thinking clearly
- Insomnia and restless sleep
- Obsessive thoughts and ruminations about certain ideas and stressors, a sign of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Anxiety surrounding a particular life event or experience that has occurred in the past, a sign of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Therapy can help you uncover the underlying causes of your fears and worries and help you learn how to relax and look at situations in a new, less frightening, more courageous way, and develop better ways of coping and strategies to solve problems in your life.
If you suffer from anxiety, please contact me today for a free consultation to discuss how I can help.